Review and Selection Criteria
|| Review and
ReadWriteThink is committed to providing educators with only the most outstanding reading and language arts resources that are available on the Web. To that end, we have developed a rigorous set of selection criteria and adopted a thorough review process to ensure that our gallery is a quality resource that meets the educational needs of both teachers and students.
Web resources are nominated by members of the educational community and reviewed by an expert Review Panel. The in-house ReadWriteThink team also evaluates each Web resource to ensure that it supports the goals of ReadWriteThink and adheres to our selection criteria.
Web Resource Selection Criteria
Authorship / Sponsorship
- The author of the site (either an individual or institution) is clearly named and is a reputable source within the field of English Language Arts education.
- The author retains all appropriate copyrights, trademarks, and ownership of materials. Any information not written by the author is clearly referenced.
- Contact information is provided and easy to find.
- The site demonstrates longevity.
Design and Navigation
- The site design should be appealing and appropriate for its intended audience, and any design elements such as colors, text fonts, graphics, animations, or sound files should enhance the content rather than detract from it.
- The navigation is obvious to the user, allowing for ease of movement throughout the site.
- The content is organized in a manner that is understandable and convenient to the user.
- Technical aspects of the site should not interfere with use. Load times should be reasonable and problem-free, and alternatives should be available for slower browsers if the site uses advanced technologies or elaborate graphics. Plug-ins should be made available, or at least identified, if required for viewing the site.
- The site must be FREE and not require the user to give personal information before accessing it. If advertisements appear on the site, they should be minimal.
- The purpose of the site is clearly stated and consistent with the goals of ReadWriteThink.
- Content on the site is reasonably current, regularly updated, and consistent with the goals of ReadWriteThink.
- The siteand all links from the sitemust be free of obscenity or any form of bias and appropriate for students of all levels to view.
- The site should be well written (i.e., free of any obvious spelling and grammar errors) and contain accurate information.
- Information and graphics are relevant to the intended audience and represent the highest-quality language arts education content available.
Disclaimer: ReadWriteThink is responsible only for the recommended website, not for any links from that site.
We would like to acknowledge the members of our Review Panel who have volunteered their time and expertise to reviewing our collection of Web resources. Without the assistance of these dedicated educators, this collection would not be possible.
International Reading Association
Vallie J. Ericson
National Council of Teachers of English